Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wuthering Heights

I have read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I particularly liked the ending, with Catherine and Hareton uniting. I feel like there is a deliberate ambiguity when it comes to Cathy and Catherine Linton. This ambiguity allows for the reader to begin to see both of them as one person. There also seems to be a fine line between intense love and hate. For my paper, I really want to compare and contrast Healthcliff and Catherine's relationship and the Hereton and Catherin Linton's relationship. Everything seems to have come full circle at the end, and that despite all the hate Heathcliff had brought to Wuthering Heights, in the end, it has become a peaceful and happy place. I also want to explore why Cathy and Healthcliff became so close, and I particularly am interested in Cathy's famous line of "I am Healthcliff." Both Healthcliff and Cathy think that they litterally are a part of the other. When Cathy is dying, Healthcliff says that he will forgive her eventhough with her death, his soul dies as well.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you say about the ending, and I think it would make an excellent focus for a paper, since you can connect it to the structure of the novel (full circle) and its intense emotions (fine line between love and hate).

    Who left a comment in Chinese? Wow!

    ReplyDelete